As the year comes to an end, I believe it is a great practice for us all to slow down and assess where we are achieving and where we are struggling.
I have created this “worksheet” of sorts to to help people identify where they might have room for growth. We all have areas for growth, we all have areas of strength. Consider these questions to guide you in your journey (with a therapist or without)! This is also a great exercise to do as a couple and as a family to set some goals, with intentionality, for the new year!
In what areas are you (or we) making emotionally based choices?
Consider the following areas. Do you (or we) tend to give into short term impulses in any specific areas?
- Food/eating ____________________________________________________________________
- Time management (working/playing) __________________________________________
- Anger impulses _________________________________________________________________
- Social Anxiety ___________________________________________________________________
- Fears ____________________________________________________________________________
- Sleep schedule__________________________________________________________________
- Self-harming behaviors__________________________________________________________
- Substance abuse ________________________________________________________________
- Emotional urges _________________________________________________________________
- Trying to “fit in” __________________________________________________________________
Questions to journal on:
What changes would you like to see in those areas?
What are you doing to self-sabatoge?
What are you doing to set yourself up for success?
Are you able to identify any areas that you do well in exercising restraint against urges and making more mindful choices?
What changes are you willing to make in the next month, to work on moving in an effective direction for yourself?
If you want more help with managing short-term urges in order to achieve long-term goals, consider checking out my book Adulting Well (available in the Wellness Shop tab above)!